Thursday, August 6, 2009

Booking through Thursday week 1


What’s the most serious book you’ve read recently?


Hmm... I actually had to think about this one.. Well I recently read a novel called Exit Here by Jason Myers and it was just so serious. The entire novel was about this kid who was a good kid but then something terrible happened to him that made him change. He was engulfed in drugs, sex, alcohol and among other things.. The whole time I was reading this novel I was very uncomfortable.. Sort of like when I read Crank.. I guess it was just too intense for me. Real teens go through things like that and although I like to think that the world is one happy place, it's really not. Some of the things that happen in this book are soooo f***ed up that I shudder at the thought of them & what nerves me most about this novel is that there is no happy ending. I guess that's true with life in itself, in some cases anyway. It left me wondering all sorts of things and it makes me look at alcoholics and drug addicts in a way diffrent light. Anyway that's all i'm gunna say... Lemme know what's the most serious book you've read recently..
As always,
That Chick That Reads

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty serious book. Here's my response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly, I've been reading lighter stuff this summer, but I did read a very serious memoir, Jantzen's Gift, about a woman whose son died and she has subsequently committed her life to helping kids around the world - it was sad at the beginning but very uplifting and interesting overall. You can read my review at:

    http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2009/08/memoir-review-jantsens-gift.html

    Good question!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete