Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Hunger Games Review

Twenty- four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Thoughts:

You know, every single time I’d choose the next book to read; I would always skip reading this book. It sat on my shelf for what seemed like forever, I think possibly 3 months? Anyway, so Catching Fire is coming out this coming Monday so I decided to read it and see if this series was any good. Everyone said the book was really good, but boy they did not do the book justice! It’s insane, just the idea of sending 12-18 years off to kill each other off for entertaining purposes was very repulsive to me, but the author wrote it in such a way that was just interesting and captivating. The book is told from Katniss’ point of view, she’s a very strong character and will do anything to provide for her family and means for survival. I couldn’t quite believe that she took her sister’s place in the Hunger Games, another 12 year old had been chosen and no one volunteered for her, so it just shows how much she truly did care about her family. Peetra, oh Peetra. He was so sweet; I liked him from the beginning. It’s kind of weird though because the entire time that I was reading this novel, I was thinking… Maybe one day we will end up like that, ruthless and insane. Especially with the scientifically and technical advancements that will make what we have today look petty. This author wrote this book just right, not too much gore but just enough to make someone want to change something. Anyway, I give this book 4.5 out of 5 paws.


Comment Question of the Blog:
If you were chosen to go to something like the Hunger Games, would you go? If not, what would you do to stop it? Leave your creative responses in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

6 comments:

  1. I have been avoiding this book as well, because the last book that my friends hyped so much (twilight) turned out to be a major disappointment to me. But your review has pushed me over the edge, and I think I'm going to grab it from the library this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure there is a choice unless you count death. I'm pretty sure the Capitol doesn't allow anyone to say no unless you can get every District to say no.
    I LOVE this book. It was so awesome even with all its horrors and I can't wait for Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I read that someone put off reading this for so long and then were gobsmacked when they read it. It is a fabulous book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to read this book! I've heard millions of great things about it!

    If I was asked to participate? I'd try to get out of it. I stink at anything competitive! And I'm horrible under pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was the cover that put me off at first so I also procrastinated on reading this book. But the moment I read it, Holy COW! I couldn't put it down!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After seeing a ton of stuff on Catching Fire, I know I have to read Hunger Games!! I love your review glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete