Sunday, August 9, 2009

L.A. Candy Review

L.A. is all about the sweet life: hot clubs, cute guys, designer… everything. Nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts can’t wait to start living it up. She may be in L.A. for an internship but Jane plans to play as hard as she works, and has enlisted her BFF Scarlett to join in the fun. When Jane and Scarlett are approached by a producer who wants them to be on his new series, a “reality version of Sex and the City,” they can hardly believe their luck. Their own show? Yes, please! Soon Jane is TV’s hottest star. Fame brings more than she ever imagined possible for a girl from Santa Barbara-free designer clothes, the choicest tables at the exclusive clubs, invites to Hollywood premieres-and she’s lapping up the VIP treatment with her eclectic who are always up for a wild night are also for a piece of Jane’s spotlight. In a city filled with people chasing after their dreams, it’s not long before Jane wakes up to the reality that everyone wants something from her, and nothing is what it seems to be.

My thoughts:

You can clearly tell this book is by a first time author. It took me forever to finish this novel. To be perfectly honest I was very spectacle about this book, the only real reason I got it was because there was a local book signing and I really wanted to meet her and I mean the plot of the book sounded good, so I got it. Well the novel is told in third person omniscient, although most of the novel is told from Jane’s point of view. You get a glimpse into Madison’s, Trevor’s and Scarlett’s mind and way of thinking. There are four girls in L.A. Candy, the new hip series. There’s Madison, the gymnast girl who pretty much loves attention; Gaby, the clueless girl; Scarlett, the smart one and Jane, the hot and sweet chick. The characters and events seemed a little cliché in a way, but I do have to give her props for keeping me on edge about Jane’s love life. I think that’s where it really got interesting in the novel. I can kind of relate to Jane and Scarlett’s relationship because they are really close at first and then certain events and things happen that make them slowly drift apart. Lauren Conrad did a good job of describing places and accessories. The one thing that I didn’t was that it pretty much read like a twitter post sort of. Like, she did this and then she did that. I’m still curious to see what there’s in store for the next novel in the series because it had a huge cliffhanger so we’ll see. I give this book 3 out of 5 paws.





Comment Question of the blog: Have you read L.A. Candy? If so did you like it? Did you watch The Hills? Was it “reality” or staged? Leave your answers in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. Nice review(: I am definitely planning on reading this- I don't want to make any assumptions so I'm going to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i did =) i had a gold bracelet so i got to skip like 3 or 400 other people lol but it was very brief and the book only got her sig, to tell you the truth it was pretty much a in and out kind of thing, i didnt even get decent pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review! I think the hills is really scripted. But still entertaining. At least Lauren is pretty ambitious. At least compared to Heidi. She is hilarious though. Haha. That's cool that you met her. I want to read this but my library hasn't gotten it yet. But I don't have too many expectations for it. =]

    ReplyDelete