Saturday, August 15, 2009

Love is Hell Review

Sure, love is hell but it’s totally worth it. In these supernatural stories by five of today’s hottest writers- Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely), Scott Westerfeld (Specials), Justine Larbalestier (Magic or Madness), Gabrielle Zevin (Elsewhere), and Laurie Faria Stolarz (Blue is for Nightmares)- love may be twisted and turned around, but it’s more potent than ever on its quest to conquer all.

From two students who let the power of attraction guide them to break the hard-and-fast rules of their world to the girl who falls hard for a good-looking ghost with a score to settle, the clever quirky characters in this exciting collection will break your heart, then leave you believing in love more than ever.

My Thoughts:

My boyfriend and I used to have insomnia like really bad so we would go to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night. I always went to the book section, every time; and every time this book would jump out at me but I would never get it. It wasn’t until I went to Melissa Marr’s book signing in May that I ended up getting it. This book has some of the best short stories ever.

Like the first one, “Sleeping with the spirit”, was about this girl and her family and how they moved into this house and she kept having these dreams about this boy. He would kind of hurt her (in the dream) and it felt so vividly, but when she got up early in the morning she realized that the marks were real. He just wanted her to listen. This short story had me wanting to know more after the ending! It was so good. I have actually never read anything by Laurie Faria Stolarz but now I’m very curious to see what her other novels hold.

The second one was, “Stupid Perfect World”, this one is by Scott Westerfeld. I personally did not like the specials series and I was very specitical about reading this short story but in the end I actually really loved it. It was just amazing what he did about the future and this “Perfect World”. I think it had to be my second favorite out of all the short stories!

“Thinner than water” by Justine Larbalestier was the third story and this one was very unique. I don’t really want to elaborate because I’m afraid I’m going to give it away, but let me say it was so good.

This is my favorite story out of all them! It’s called “Fan Fiction” by Gabrielle Zevin. No joke, when I got to the ending I was so freaked out that it was just insane! It was written so, I don’t even know how to explain it! It’s very good!

Last but not least, “Love Struck” by Melissa Marr. This was a very enjoyable one. It of coarse had to do with fey and she just surprised me by how she decided to end it. Love triangles are so interesting to read!

Anyway, this book is pretty awesome. The stories are unique, with amazing and unforgettable characters. I give this book 4.5 out of 5 paws.




Comment Question of the Blog:

Did you discover any new authors by reading books like “Love is Hell” that contain various short stories by different novels? Let me know in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

3 comments:

  1. I really love these compilations. They've got some hott authors and some great stories in them. And, of course, I love everything paranormal. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review Leslie!

    Come pick up your award here! http://lafemmereaders.blogspot.com/2009/08/ive-been-nominated-doing-happy-dance.html

    -Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reviews are awesome!
    Please consider reading some of mine,
    www.thepinkhat.weebly.com
    I'm a high school freshman.
    i'm not that good but i'm trying to get better.
    Thanks so much!(:

    ReplyDelete