Saturday, August 22, 2009

Secret Society Review

An eccentric new girl. A brooding socialite. The scion of one of New York’s wealthiest families. A promising filmmaker. As students at the exclusive Chadwick School, Phoebe, Lauren, Nick, and Patch already live in a world most teenagers only dream about.

They didn’t ask to be Society members. But when three of them receive a mysterious text message promising success and fame beyond belief, they say yes to everything. Even to the harrowing initiation ceremony in a gritty warehouse downtown, and to the ankh-shaped tattoo they’re forced to get on the nape of their necks. Once they’re part of the Society, things begin falling into place for them. Week after week, their ambitions are fulfilled. It’s all perfect—until a body is found in Central Park with no distinguishing marks except for an ankh-shaped tattoo.

My thoughts:

So I was one of the lucky few to have received an ARC of this novel. It’s Tom Dolby’s Young Adult Series debut. It was okie, not all that great. I loved the concept about the “Secret Society” these teens were participating in. It reminded me of that movie called “The Skulls”, from the initiation to the first death. Oh and then the Egyptian hieroglyphic ankh-shaped tattoo is beyond awesome! I totally want it now! It’s symbolized to mean “eternal life”, but the one thing that bothered me the most about that was it didn’t really go into all that much detail. I was so bored with the novel at first, I mean they said “don’t talk about the society”, yeah ok, I get it; don’t talk about. But what got me was that the lady in charge would “know” if they were late. Ok so if she would know that they were late, and they apparently know everything about you and what you’re up to, then how would they not know that you are not talking about it? The novel did start getting better towards the middle of the book and then up until the end. I really enjoyed the four different points of view; it was kind of refreshing to say the least. It ended with a huge cliff hanger so now I’m wondering where it’s going to lead and what direction Mr. Dolby will be taking with this series. This novel is set to be released on October 1st 2009. Overall I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog: If you could pick a Secret Society name, what would it be and why? Leave your creative responses in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. Maybe with better editing, Secret Society could be really good, since you mention it dragging.

    I got Heavenly today and mentioned you and your blog in my vlog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds ok, but I'm getting tired of series with cliffhanger endings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an ARC of this book and am excited to read it. I hope I like it better than you did. It still sounds interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete