Saturday, August 8, 2009

Thanksgiving at the Inn book Review

Life hasn’t been easy for Heath after his mother left him and his father. Between his father’s (junior) literary rejection and battle of alcoholism and Heath’s wrongful suspension from school, there just wasn’t all that much to be thankful for. It wasn’t until the tragic death of his grandfather, whom he hasn’t seen for years, that both father and son get a life changing experience. The will stated that both he and his father would have to spend the next three months managing The Sleeping Inn, his grandfather’s bed and breakfast, which Junior has spent the last eight years trying to escape. Heath ends up in a town where everyone knew and loved his grandfather, when he didn’t even remember him.


My thoughts:

First off I want to congratulate Tim Whitney for an outstanding novel. It was one of the best books I have read in a long while. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this novel for review and enjoyed it so much! The different characters at the Inn were so entertaining and just different! Winsted, the old and wise Jamaican guy; Mrs. Farrel, the elderly woman who was giving away her late husband’s fortune; Mustang Sally, the tough guy who is an author and illustrator of a children’s book; Carter, the T.V. junkie who in reality graduated from Harvard in the top three of his class; Junior (Heath’s father), an author who is constantly rejected; and last but not least, Heath, who doesn’t know who he is. This book goes through Heath’s journey into finding himself. There were a lot of things in this book I loved! First off, I loved how he explained “Secret Garden”. I’ve actually never thought about it like that before. He explains it as, everyone has secrets and they plant them in a garden, you keep them planted long enough and they’ll rot. When I read that quote, it literately gave me chills because it’s just so true! The other thing that struck me the most was the “Three Types of People” as Sally explained. Those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what the heck just happened. As I read this book, I kept thinking about the relationship between Heath and his father; it started making me think about my relationship with my mother. This is just one of those books that makes appreciate the things you have. Like with Savannah, her daughter is autistic and her husband had an affair. She could see past her husband’s betrayal and her daughter’s condition because of the unconditional love she has for her daughter. Even though bad things happen, it doesn’t mean that you should stop everything. Or if your novel keeps getting rejected, it doesn’t mean you should stop trying. This book was a really great read! I give it 4 paws out of 5!




Click HERE to read the first Chapter.
Click HERE to pre-order.
Click HERE to visit the website.
Click HERE to become a fan on Facebook.
Click HERE for the author spotlight interview.

Comment Question of the blog, what are you guys thankful for? Leave your answers in the comment section below.


As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for all the love in my life. From my boyfriend, to my family, to my friends. I've got lots of love which is awesome.

    This book sounds like something I'd enjoy curling up with during a free afternoon. Good to know you enjoyed it so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an award for you on my blog! FYI.

    ReplyDelete