Monday, August 10, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife Review

Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.

The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's marriage and their passionate love for each other, as the story unfolds from both points of view. Clare and Henry attempt to live normal lives, pursuing familiar goals - steady jobs, good friends, children of their own. All of this is threatened by something they can neither prevent nor control, making their story intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

My Thoughts:

So I know the movie comes out sometime this week. **squeals** I just had to read the novel before I even thought about sitting down to watch the movie. Anyway so this is a love story between Clare and Henry. Henry is eight years older than Clare and meets her when she is just 6 years old. You know what really got to me about this book was the fact that it’s just so amazing to be able to know your one and true love at such a young age. The whole book was so emotional! I think toward the last one hundred and fifty pages I couldn’t stop crying! I haven’t cried so much like ever, because it was just so sad. The only thing I didn’t really like about the novel is that at some points I couldn’t really follow it. The baby situation was a little difficult to read, and it just I don’t know… The book is written in both perspectives, which I really enjoyed. You know if I had a time traveling husband, I don’t think I would be able to deal with that. Having to constantly be left behind and wondering if and when you would see them again. It’s kind of like having a husband in the military, but at least you have some knowledge of where he is at, where as Clare didn’t even know what year or situation he would end up in. Anyway, so I’m a little curious to see how the movie will play out. So I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 paws.





Comment Question of the Blog:

If you had a choice to time travel, would you? Why or Why not? Leave your answers in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. I tried to read this one but couldn't get interested in it. Hopefully the movie will be great.

    P.S. I have an award for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am endlessly fascinated by all kinds of time travel books, but this one is one of my all-time favorite novels! I can't wait to see the movie.

    Another great time travel book is Replay by Ken Grimwood - very thought-provoking!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete