Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hardball by Sara Paretsky Review

Chicago’s unique brand of ball is sixteen-inch slow pitch, played in leagues all over the city for more than a century. But in politics, in business, and in law enforcement, the game is hardball.

When V. I. Warshawski is asked to find a man who’s been missing for four decades, a search that she figured would be futile becomes lethal. Old skeletons from the city’s racially charged history, as well as haunting family secrets—her own and those of the elderly sisters who hired her—rise up to brush her back from the plate with a vengeance. A young cousin whom she’s never met arrives from Kansas City to work on a political campaign; a nun who marched with Martin Luther King Jr. dies without revealing crucial evidence; and on the city’s South Side, people spit when she shows up. Afraid to learn that her adored father might have been a bent cop, V. I. still takes the investigation all the way to its frightening end.


My Thoughts:

Missing People + Murder + Old Family Secrets = Intense Read! The novel started off a little slow for my tasting but once you got the background stuff out of the way, it got really interesting. I could not put this novel away! I usually don’t read genres like this but I honestly really loved this novel! It was like you were pieces the pieces together alongside V. I. Warshawski. The author keeps giving you little hints through out the entire novel and then they all tie nicely at the end. The character were unforgettable, from the young and beautiful cousin Petra, to her neighbor Mr. Contretas, the old lady trying to find her nephew on her death bed Miss Claudia, among other lively characters! The one I always felt myself drawn to was her cousin Petra, I guess it was because she reminded me of myself. She’s young, hopeful and full of energy as any girl her age would be; especially with the kind of job she landed! This is actually a book as part of a series and I hadn’t read any of the previous V.I. books but the author doesn’t write the book in a sense that you have to read the other books in order to get this one, which is quite awesome because if not I would have been really lost. The author does a great job describing events and places through her writing. I felt as though I was there as V.I.’s shadow getting a glimpse of life filled with danger, as well as excitement. I also enjoyed that she included things like the current president, Barrack Obama, and Twitter as well as Myspace. I’m definetly checking out some more of Sara Paretsky’s novels! I’m totally hooked! Overall I give this novel 4 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
What’s the best mystery book you’ve read recently? Leave your responses in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. Outside of my usual genre too, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best mystery? Definitely the Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie has attitude, her lovers are awesome, and they are quick, funny reads.

    Excellent review by the way, I thought this book was what the movie hardball was based off of, but apparently not.

    ReplyDelete