Friday, September 25, 2009

My Name is Will by Jess Winfield Review

"Utterly delicious, original, witty, hilarious and brilliant.Shakespeare In Love on magic mushrooms.The Bard has never been this much fun."-Christopher Buckley, author of Boomsday and Thank You For SmokingStruggling UC Santa Cruz grad student Willie Shakespeare Greenberg is trying to write his thesis about the Bard. Kind of. Having been cut off by his father for laziness, and desperate for cash, Willie agrees to deliver a single, giant, psychedelic mushroom to a mysterious collector, only to find himself a target in Ronald Reagan's War on Drugs.Meanwhile, would-be playwright (and oppressed Catholic) William Shakespeare is eighteen and stuck teaching Latin in the boondocks of Stratford-upon-Avon.The future Bard is asked to deliver a contraband box of sacramental wafers blessed by the Pope at a time when Catholics are being hanged, drawn and quartered as traitors.When 1980s Willie, cornered by DEA agents and one too many girlfriends, eats the giant mushroom at a Renaissance Fair, and 1580s William takes his first communion at his own shotgun wedding, their minds and stories merge--allowing each to become the fully-realized Shakespeare he is destined to be.

My Thoughts:

I kept putting this book off just because I don’t really understand Shakespeare and so I skimmed the fist few chapters and they included various verses and lines from some of his works, such as, Romeo and Juliet. This novel was actually really interesting. It is told in third person point of view, every other chapter is either told from Willie’s “world” or William Shakespeare’s. A lot of events are “real”, well in Shakespeare’s point of view, either the date was fiction or the event was mere myth. I actually haven’t read any Shakespeare stuff since my sophomore year in high school and so I was surprised to be able to understand the language and sonnets so easily. I loved Willie’s character! Throughout the novel we drive along side with him while he tries to figure himself out, It was actually quite interesting. The writing was appropriate and the last chapter left me satisfied. Overall I gibe this book 3.5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
Do you read Shakespeare? Any favorites? Why or why not?


As always,
That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thanks for the review. I wasn't sure of this book either. I'm leaning toward reading it now.
    I've read most of Shakespeare's plays.
    Hardly any of his sonnets though.
    One of my fav movies is Shakespeare In Love.
    All the best,
    Thanks for sharing,
    twitter: @RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one sitting on my TBR pile for review, just haven't gotten around to it yet. It does sound very interesting. My friends keep telling me to hurry up and read it because they want a crack at it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...My favorite Shakespeare would have to be Macbeth. Thanks for the review!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete