Thursday, September 10, 2009

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler Review

While on vacation in California, sixteen-year-old best girlfriends Anna and Frankie conspire to find a boy for Anna's first summer romance, but Anna harbors a painful secret that threatens their lighthearted plan and their friendship.

Beautifully written and emotionally honest, this is a debut novel that explores what it truly means to love someone and what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every single moment this world has to offer



My Thoughts:


Anna is holding this secret. Her best friend’s brother, who also happened to be her best friend, Matt and she were barely starting a relationship right before his death. This novel was so difficult to read, well at least for me, not because it was bad but because of the subject. It felt like I was an intruder in this character’s personal tragedy. I completely understand her view on condolences. The family always get’s the “I’m sorry for your loss” but what about everyone else? Her best friend or her parents never ask her how she truly is. How she’s dealing with his loss. Matt’s death plays a huge role in the novel. How to move on or if it’s even Okie to move on are some of the big questions that Anna must find for herself. This novel is beautifully written and it honestly gave me chills! I like cried through out the entire novel, but I guess it’s because I’m very sentimental. Overall I give this novel 4 out of 5 paws.


Comment Question of the Blog:
Have you ever read a book that was difficult to read? If so, what was it? Why? Leave your answers in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that does sound sad. And those can be tough questions. Everyone seems to like this book so I need to read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a hard read. I usually like my fiction not so emotional. I have read some hard to read nonfiction though, like One Dead in the Attic, which had me crying and laughing. Wonderful blog. I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete