Saturday, October 3, 2009

Blog Tour: The Ancient by Anida Adler/ Opportunity to win a bear!

What would you do if you fell in love with the goddess of death?

June 1945 - Tadhg Daniels sees a woman clad in strange clothes and a feathered cloak, but she’s invisible to everyone else. He’s convinced his mind has been unhinged by the horrors of the D-day landings four days before, but when she appears to him again, the woman proves she is real. She is Morrigan, goddess of death, come to warn him his life is about to end.

Morrigan is disturbed by the man she meets. He looks in her eyes unflinching, while all others avoid her gaze. She’s never found such a strong will to survive in any of her charges before. He refuses to accept he’s going to die.

There is a way for Tadhg to cheat death, a secret Morrigan has guarded for millennia. Morrigan can save him if she takes him as her lover, but sex with the goddess of death will change him. He needs time to decide if he’s prepared to give up his humanity in order to be with her forever.

But Tadhg is not the only one who knows Morrigan’s secret. Someone else wants to take by force the gift she can bestow. And he’ll stop at nothing to get it.


Review:
This is an Erotica novel which to be frankly honest, this one was the first one i've ever read that was labeled as such. I didn't know exactly what would contain in one so I decided, why not let me give it a chance. Let's just say it had me blushing! Oh my goodness! But the thing that got me is that the book wasn't just all about sex, it had an excellent storyline to go along with it. Tadhg's character amazed me in so many ways, with his shyness and determination. Morrigan is a strong female who didn't believe in love, well that is until she met Tadhg. The novel kind of goes through the transition that both of them make and it's an awesome journey! I abs loved it! So you guys that do like those kind of books, check this one out! I suggest anyone 18+ just for content purposes.

Anyway so I got to interview this lovely author! Anida Adler is here today with us promoting her erotica novel called, "The Ancient" and I got to ask her a few questions.


How much research was involved in preparing your novel?

That's more difficult to answer than you'd imagine. I always thought I don't do that much research, but I've realised that I have quite a wide knowledge of Irish mythology, purely from reading I've done for pleasure. Furthermore, I had to do without internet access for more than a month over August and a few days into September. Only then did it come home to me how often I stop in the middle of a sentence to look something up on the net: appropriate clothing for the time I'm writing about, appropriate use of language, names (I often choose names with meanings behind them for my characters), sometimes even what the weather was like in a specific place on a specific date. I'd therefore say quite a large amount of research went into the writing of The Ancient, but I enjoyed it so much that I didn't notice I was working.


Tell me about your novel. Why did you choose that specific time period?


Only a small part of The Ancient is set in World War II, but as this is the time Tadhg comes from, I had to bear the sensibilities and social mores of the time in mind throughout the book. To a degree, I can't really say why I chose this time period. I can seldom trace the beginnings of a story idea, and choices such as time and environment dissolve in the same mist of obscurity.

When and why did you begin to write? Any inspiration?

Like so many authors, I started writing as soon as I learned how to put words together. However, I started writing seriously, with a view to becoming a professional author, around the end of 2003. It was my husband's idea - he said: "Why don't you just write a book?" Ah, the poor man. He had no idea what he was unleashing.


If you’re suddenly interrupted in the middle of writing, how hard or how easy is it for you to get back into the rhythm of things?

I find it very hard to drag my mind away from writing and snap right back into it as soon as I can sit back down in front of the computer. I identify very strongly with a story told of fantasy author Diana Wynne-Jones, who apparently one afternoon put a pair of shoes in the oven for her children's tea! She was that buried in the story that she didn't notice her mistake until they got home. I'm sure my family will wholeheartedly agree that this scenario is not at all impossible in our household.

If you had to choose which writer would you select to be your mentor?

This is a very difficult question to answer, as it necessitates the confession of a feeling of not belonging in any specific writing world. I'm a fantasy author who writes romance, and a romance author who writes fantasy. The writers I admire would not make good mentors for me. My writing style is completely different from Terry Pratchett's. I'm a feverish writer who is obsessed while she's completing a story. My target audience is completely different from Diana Wynne-Jones's. There's a big difference between writing fantasy and writing romance, so much so that I felt I had to relearn the craft of writing when I turned to the latter genre. While my approach to writing is very similar to Chaz Brenchley's, his writing is, again, enormously different from mine. However, in truth I would love to learn from him, as I feel I might find a new horizon opening for me as writer.

I've been enormously privileged to be mentored by author Mike Stone http://www.mylefteye.net/ - a wonderful writer and fantastic person. As if that wasn't great enough, science fiction author Tricia Sullivan http://www.triciasullivan.com/ and I became cyber-friends, and her encouragement and advice has been priceless.


What was the hardest part of writing your novel? The easiest?

The hardest part was writing the query letter, plot synopsis and blurbs. I'm truly terrible at doing those - the kind people at Loose Id in fact rewrote the blurb for the novel's page on their website. The easiest part was writing the first draft.


If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently this time around?

I wouldn't do anything differently, it was an absolute joy.

Silly Question, if you’re at a movie theater, which arm rest is yours, the left or the right?

Left. I'm left-handed.

Any advice to aspiring authors?

Lock your ego in a basket. Keep it locked away when receiving crits. Take it out again when it's time to scrape together the courage to send your baby out there. Persevere - it took me five years of fulltime writing before I saw significant success. I have to caution that I'm a very prolific writer and according to writing friends a very quick learner, so my very first writing mentor's advice - that you must brace yourself for ten years of hard work before you'll see major success - still stands.


Do you usually outline your writing or do you go with the flow?

I go with the flow, but here I must add a caution again. I might not write down my plans, but I do extensive planning in my head. That's another reason it takes time to learn to write well. You have to get to know your temperament as a writer. Earlier this year I was privileged to be able to attend the Phoenix Convention in Dublin. I listened at a stage to a panel of four authors discussing their work ethic. Every one of those authors were very successful in the fantasy genre, but each of them had a very different and very unique way of working. You have to find out what your style is, and learn to be effective within the parameters of your personality and creative comfort zone.

Thank you so much Anida for answering my questions! Anyway guys Anida is giving away this awesome Shannon O'Shamrock Bear to a lucky commentor of 1 of the 15 blog tour spots (so comment in the comment section below for an entry!) So for more chances to win head on over HERE and comment on some of those post!

Here are some extra ways to learn about this author:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie & Anida :)
    Thanks for the great interview here, and thank you for sharing Anida. I loved your advice on finding your own style & way to effectively write.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, RKCharron. I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. I loved the questions, as they made me stop and think over some things I did automatically, and put into words some others which I'd been pondering recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesie, a separate comment to thank you for hosting me here, and also thank you very much for the kind comments you made about The Ancient. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete