Friday, October 16, 2009

Graceling by Kristin Cashore Review

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight; she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug.
She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po. She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace--or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away. . .a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more


My Thoughts:

I’ve heard so much about Graceling and Fire in the bloggerverse that when I heard that Kristin was going to be in Houston I just had to go out and meet her. I honestly loved this novel! This novel starts off with Katsa, a girl who was graced with killing. She has been able to kill men since she was eight years old. She is one of the rare people who are “graced”, these people have two different eye colors to distinguish themselves. Well anyway, she’s the niece of the King and is regarded as his thug. He sends her out to complete all the horrible things, like breaking people’s arms or cutting off a limb. When she meets Po, a prince graced with combat skills, she doesn’t expect that he would turn out to be her friend; mainly because she doesn’t know how to have a friend and most people are scared to death to look her in the eye. In this novel she learns different little things about herself as well as the people around her.

This novel never failed to surprise me. It’s written in third person point of view, but it’s limited mostly to Katsa. I thought I was going to have a hard time getting accustomed to the language in the novel, because it’s set from back in the day when you had to ride a horse to get anywhere, if you know what I mean. But I found that the language was beautiful and not choppy, the actions of the characters easily identifiable and just the characters themselves are unforgettable. My favorite character was Po. He was just so sweet and awesome; I don’t even know how to describe it! Katsa was also pretty awesome in the sense that she is a kick ass character, her ability to fight and then the remorse she feels about the things her uncle makes her do, makes her so human. Like she believes that she’s this monster but if you read between the lines, you see that she’s trying to escape that and it’s just awesome. Now I can’t wait to read Fire! That being said, I give this novel 5 out of 5 paws for being awesome!

Comment Question of the Blog:
If you were graced, what would you like to be graced with? Leave your creative responses in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

7 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I want to read Graceling now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just posted my review for Fire. It was amazing!
    Hmm I don't know what I would want to be Graced with. Probably something boring like cooking...no reading super fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another glowing review for Graceling. Must get my hands on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review for my fave book! Glad you liked it! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review and one of my favorite books this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the middle (sort of) of Fire right now, and I must confess that so far I like Graceling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Graceling! And can't wait to read Fire. I think I would like to be graced with finding good bargins every time I got out shopping...food shopping...clothes shopping....books shopping....you get the idea! :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete