Friday, October 9, 2009

Impossible by Nancy Werlin Review

Lucy has nine months to break an ancient curse in order to save both herself and her unborn daughter.
Inspired by the ballad "Scarborough Fair", this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale.

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their child's birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won't be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents and her childhood friend Zach beside her. Do they have love and strength enough to overcome an age-old evil?

My Thoughts:

This novel starts off with Lucy’s seventh birthday, in which she found a letter that her birth mother wrote right before she went “crazy”. She ended up hiding it because she didn’t understand what it said and because she was mad at Zach because he forgot to get her a real birthday present. Well then it fast-forwards a few years later and it all began like two weeks before Lucy’s prom night. Her foster parents or actually more like her adoptive parents (that her mother in her sane condition picked out) announced that Zach was coming home for the summer and would be living under their roof for the mean while. Lucy had agreed to go to prom with Greg, which she liked a lot. While all of this is happening, Lucy’s birthmother keeps showing up and telling her the same thing, something about that she could still fight it and win. Lucy doesn’t understand until after the day of prom when all of hell breaks loose.

This novel was okie, not great but just okie. The cover was abs gorgeous though! I finally figured out who the girl on the cover is supposed to be, but I’m not going to tell you ;). Anyway so this novel is told in third pov, which doesn’t always really appeal to me but it did keep my mind kind of interested for a while. The idea of the ballad was kind of interesting, I’d never actually read anything like this before so it was quite interesting to see how it turned out. I thought that there wasn’t really any background on Zach’s “love” for Lucy; I felt it was too sudden I guess. There are a few perks in this book though, I loved how this blue eyed guy captured humans and then they couldn’t remember him or what they talked about exactly. Imagine if there were something actually like that in the real world. That would be crazy! The ending did satisfied me, it wasn’t too dull and it wasn’t overall predictable. Anyway, I give this novel 3 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
If you could create an Impossible task, what would it be and why? Leave your creative responses in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. I liked Impossible too. It was interesting about the curse on her family and how they solved the problem. I had a different cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, I'll also post my review soon. I loved the whole traditional feel of the book, and it made me listen to Scarborough Fair in a completely different way (which is a must, since I must have listened to Simon and Garfunkel's version a hundred -if not a thousand- times !). I love this cover, and the hardcover one is also beautiful (see here : http://aleapopculture.blogspot.com/2009/06/hardcover-vs-paperback-31.html). I think they both really reflect the atmosphere of the book.

    Here are a few Impossible Tasks I thought of :
    - Swimming without getting wet.
    - Crushing a stone with a tree leaf.
    - Reading a book without opening it.
    - Writing a comment without touching the keyboard.

    :)

    ReplyDelete