Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ash by Malinda Lo Review

In the wake of her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, re-reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash’s capacity for love—and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.

Entrancing and romantic, Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.


My thoughts:
This book was really big in the bloggerverse for a while and I saw a lot of people raving about it and I was lucky enough to win an ARC of it. So I decided to pick it up this weekend and finished it rather quickly. This novel tells the story of Ash, a girl who is left orphaned at a very young age with a stepmother and two stepdaughters. It’s kind of like the typical Cinderella story but with its unique twist. She is left to pay the debts of her late father by becoming her stepmother’s maid. She misses her old home, her parents and so she feels happier at the edge of the Wood, where the old magic still exists. She befriends a fairy named Sidhean but he’s dangerous or so she thinks according to the fairy tales she read as a kid. One day she meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress and her life changes dramatically in a short period of time.

This novel was Okie, I did enjoy it. Let me start of with the cover. It’s beautiful! When I saw pictures of the novel I thought that it was a picture of a flower and a black cover but looking at it now, it’s a picture of Ash and she’s balled up and sleeping on the grassThe beginning was a little slow for me, and the amount of detail in the writing was a little overwhelming but as the story continued it got easier to see through the eyes of Ash. This story is told in third person point of view but it’s mostly through the eyes of Ash. The characters were extremely well developed and just pure awesome. From beginning to end, we walk with Ash as she embarks on a mission to find herself. The author did an excellent job with the language, time period, among other little things. I really enjoyed the fairy tales in the story. There was a part in the novel when Ash tells Kaisa that fairy tales are like life lessons. I could clearly see the lessons in each of the tales that were told in this novel. There were a few things I disliked but not very many. This book was pretty good, easy read and very unique. I give it 3.5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
Is there a particular fairy tale that you enjoyed as a kid, or even now? Why? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the beginning was slow, but the second half made up for it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I was just about to order this and ran across your review! What a coincidence! Thanks for the review! I think I will go ahead and get it now for sure!

    Umm I guess I would say I always enjoyed Snow White because I thought the little elfs were so cute and child sized. lol I know! I am weird! lol

    ReplyDelete