Friday, November 27, 2009

Invisble Lines by Mary Amato Review

For Trevor Musgrove, life isn't always bright and cheerful. His family just moved to Hedley Gardens, a tough housing project its residents call "Deadly Gardens." He goes to school with rich kids who have everything, while he has to work to afford soccer cleats. It doesn't help that the best athlete in school, Xander Pierce, happens to have it out for him. Mistakenly enrolled in an advanced science class taught by an odd but engaging teacher, Trevor is thrown headfirst into the world of natural science. Through all this, he will learn that life can spring up in the darkest places-- maybe even in Deadly Gardens.



My Thoughts:

Invisible Lines is centered around a boy named Trevor Musgrove. He’s in middle school, has a younger brother and sister, a single mother, and a whole different world ahead of him. They move to a really tough housing project that everyone refers to as the “Deadly Gardens”. His school is filled with rich kids mixed in with the lower class ones. He wants to fit in so badly with the rich popular kids that he does everything in his power to impress them. He’s mistakenly enrolled in an AP or Pre-AP science class with a completely wacky teacher. Suddenly it feels as if his whole world is crashing down. Will it get better, or worse?

I picked up this novel the other night and completely devoured it! I found that I could relate to Trevor completely because I had a similar life to his when I was about his age. The different characters touched me so much! From Langston to his mother; they were just so passionate and heartwarming. I loved the fact that he had Mr. Ferguson because he was just the kind of teacher that I would’ve loved to have when I was growing up in Dallas before I moved to Frisco. He was one that actually cared about his students; he made learning so much fun! Especially since all he could seem to talk about would be Fungus or Mushrooms actually. It’s so awesome the way the author mixed in the mushrooms to relate to everyday life. Like his Mycelium notes, he states that the universe talks like that; they don’t talk with words but with actions in a sort. Maybe everyone’s and everything is connected together in some way. His love for soccer was like my love for cross country; he would do anything for it and he was talented. There were moments in this novel where I like cried my heart out because what the conversations were about just hit a little too close to home. Heartwarming, funny and very touching; I have to give this novel 4 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
If you had the ability to draw anything at all, what would it be and why? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if this is what you wanted....

    I would draw an addition onto our house. To have a room to visit in while spouse is watching TV, a craft room/library and better laid out bedrooms. It would be nice to be able to spread out a craft/sewing project and leave it out. I'd like be have all my books shelved.

    I'd also like a horse ;-) but that includes stabling and vet bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and couldn't agree with you more!

    If I could draw - I'd want to be able to draw my children's faces. They are the most important thing to me.

    ReplyDelete