Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon & Cindy Kelly Review

The 1930s were a decade of enormous uncertainty--for the world, for America, and in particular for one lonely, struggling mother and her disabled son. Their story is one of love and enormous sacrifices in the face of circumstances horrendous beyond belief. When her husband leaves her for someone whose time isn't wrapped up in a silent, handicapped kid, Mary and little Luke are out on their own in a world that has no room for the poor and disabled. Especially not at a time when most Americans are simply trying to survive their economic woes and job losses. But then arrives The Gift...where has it come from, and why? How can a young boy who can neither hear nor speak provide comfort, direction, and sometimes challenges to seekers who learn of the special ability? Whatever the source, its presence brings a single shaft of light and hope to Mary and her beloved Luke. Will it be enough?

My Thoughts:

I was very intrigued by the idea of this novel. I mean it’s about a woman and what she would do to protect her son and also her absolute love for him. I was also very curious to know what the “gift” was. I picked it up the other night and as I was reading I found that the way it was written was honestly perfect. It has good rhythm and just a good voice. The storyline was beyond amazing. I was only about a quarter through the book when I picked it up Saturday and I pretty much couldn’t let go of the book. I was honestly swept away by this novel from the first paragraph up until the last word on the last page of the novel. I could picture Jack, Mary’s son, sitting by the window looking out into his own little world. I could see Mary’s white gloves and taste the root beer they had at the restaurant. It’s so descriptive but it’s not overwhelming, these authors did an absolutely amazing job writing the scenery without making it a complete chaos. There was one paragraph that left me completely breathless.

“Because I’m a writer and that’s what writers do. They imagine. They look for perspective. They try and see the word through the eyes of someone else, then paint a picture with words. I’ve met lots and lots of people riding the rails- but I have to admit, Jack’s a first for me.” Page 287

That paragraph left me completely breathless because that’s exactly how I feel about writing and about books in general! These authors completely captured every different idea in their writing. Absolutely amazing! I was a little skeptical about the religious aspects of this novel but to be perfectly honest, it does not center around god. This novel is more than just a religious type of thing; it’s about a mother’s love for her child. I wouldn’t know how that feels considering I don’t have any children of my own but with the way it’s written and just the many thoughts and actions that the author made Mary go through I could perfectly myself step into Mary’s shoes. I honestly fell in love with this novel. It’s a tear jerker guys so you seriously need to check it out! Heartwarming and passionate I have no choice but to give this novel 5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
If you could show someone something without using any words, what would be and why? Leave you answer in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment