Wednesday, January 6, 2010

After by Amy Efaw Review

After by Amy Efaw
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Pub. Date: August 11th, 2009
Pages: 350
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought

An infant left in the trash to die. A teenage mother who never knew she was pregnant...
Before that morning, these were the words most often used to describe straight-A student and star soccer player Devon Davenport: responsible, hardworking, mature.
But all that changes when the police find Devon home sick from school as they investigate the case of an abandoned baby. Soon the connection is made — Devon has just given birth; the baby in the trash is hers.
After that morning, there’s only one way to define Devon: attempted murderer.
And yet gifted author Amy Efaw does the impossible — she turns Devon into an empathetic character, a girl who was in such deep denial that she refused to believe she was pregnant. Through airtight writing and fast-paced, gripping storytelling, Ms. Efaw takes the reader on Devon’s unforgettable journey toward clarity, acceptance, and redemption.


My Thoughts:

Devon’s story is very unique. Abortion is such a difficult topic that a lot of writer’s don’t attempt to even write about because of the intensity and controversy of the subject. Efaw did a fabulous job keeping me on the edge of my seat through out the whole book, right up to the very last word on the last page! It’s originally written in third person, so you don’t get a glimpse into Devon’s mind or even know why or if she was responsible for dumping her baby. But as you continue reading the novel, it seems like it slowly morphs into first person without really taking away the third person point of view. I also loved the different names and little bits and pieces of Devon’s life in prison. Like Karma! I thought that was just really fitting for the situation that she was in. This novel left me questioning everything I’d ever really believed in! Enticing, amazing and a complete must read, this novel will leave reader’s breathless and wanting to find out more! Kudos to Efaw! 5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
Should people be innocent until proven guilty? Why or why not? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds good, but a bit intense. When you hear about stories like this its almost like you can't help but judge because the emotions are so high, especially if you have children. Yes, I believe people should be innocent before proven guilty, but rarely does that happen. - Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  2. OO agreement with your thoughts on this story. I loved it and really was also on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first bit but I had to give it back to the library so I didn't get to finish, but I really need to. It is just so compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to finally read this book!

    ReplyDelete