Friday, January 1, 2010

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen Review

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Puffin
Pub. Date: May 11th, 2004
Pages: 228
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought

Fifteen-year-old Colie is spending the summer with her eccentric Aunt Mira while her mother travels. Formerly chubby and still insecure, Colie has built a shell around herself. But her summer with her aunt, her aunt's tenant Norman, and her friends at the Last Chance Diner&150 teaches her some important lessons about friendship and learning to love yourself.

My Thoughts:

Colie just never fit in anywhere. Whether she was fat or a reborn skinny girl, she just didn’t fit in. This summer, she is sent to live with her eccentric aunt in Colby, North Carolina; where everything changes her forever.

Sarah Dessen is uuuhmazing! I love her writing, her characters, and the plots in her books. They’re so realistic! Collie is an abs strong character, even if she doesn’t know it. This novel just takes you through a complete life alternating experience where we could see her grown from someone who couldn’t believe in her inner beauty to someone who projects utter confidence. It was extremely east to relate to her, for me at least. Having no friends and then suddenly discovering true friendships and trust was just so endearing. Norman! Oh man! There’s a quote on page 91:

“I’m really interested in the idea of anonymity and familiarity and sunglasses, you know, are so indicative of that. I mean, they’re worn by some people to hide themselves but they’re also a fashion statement, meant to be noticed. So there’s a dichotomy there”

He is so right and I’ve just never thought about it in that way! This book has reminded me to appreciate friends, and most of all love in general. Well written, unforgettable characters, as well as an inspiring story for all of us, Dessen succeeds in presenting a suitable for generations to come. I give this novel 4 out of 5 paws!

Comment Question of the blog:
Have you ever gone on vacation for the summer? If so where?


As always,
That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. Great review! This is one of my favorites from Dessen's older novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE Sarah Desson! Have you read This Lulluby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of Sarah Dessen's books that I still need to get. I really loved Just Listen and The Truth About Forever. Sarah Dessen is a great writer. Loved the review.

    ~Briana

    Answer to question: Once went to St. Simon's Island in my state of Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one, great review :)

    Answer: I have gone to many places for the summer. I think my most recent trip was to Spain for a month, it was a study abroad program, about two summers ago. This year I plan to go to Guatemala for the summer (if I can save up the money!) but I also always try and have a trip during Spring Break, Thanksgiving or Winter Break. I love traveling :)

    ReplyDelete