Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Author Spotlight: Jake Black Interview!!

I got the chance to read and review Jake Black's Authorized Ender Companion! You can find the review HERE. I also got the chance to interview him! So check it out below!

1. How long did it take you to gather all the info in the book?

I spent just about two years researching, compiling and writing the Ender Companion. It was a thorough endeavor, and one that I'm very proud of.


2. Do you have a favorite book in the series? If so, why?

I like the books of the Shadow series the best because of the Earth-bound intrigue. I'm fascinated by political machinations, and the Shadow books are full of them. I also really like War of Gifts a lot because of its commentary on religious extremism.


3. When were you first introduced to the series?

I first learned about it when I was in jr. high. My best friend at the time was reading Ender's Game, Speaker, and Xenocide, and really spoke highly of them. While I was exposed to the books then, I didn't really get heavily into them until I started the Companion.


4. What appealed to you most about the series?

It's a very human story. I appreciate so much the depth of humanity of the characters. They're so flawed, and relatable, yet they accomplish phenomenal things.


5. Did you learn anything new while writing the encyclopedia?

Wow, that's a tough one. I think I saw how science fiction can present deep philosophical ideas in guise of an adventure. There's a lot of commentary on the human experience in the telling of the Ender tales. While I'd recognized that in sci-fi I'd read/watched in the past, I never quite witnessed it to the depth I did with the Ender books.


6. What was the most difficult aspect of writing the encyclopedia?

Making sure I got it right. These books are very, very important to people. I knew there was a legion of fans who had spent years studying the series, and I wanted to make sure I was as accurate as possible in detailing the Ender Universe.


7. Do you have a favorite character?

I think Bean, probably. He's an interesting study in precociousness. :-)


8. What was it like working with Orson Scott Card?

Mr. Card has been tremendously supportive of my writing, not only in the Ender's stuff, but in everything I do. He was always there to help clarify questions about the Ender books, and stood by me as I tackled some pretty big professional and personal challenges.
You can check out some of his other stuff at his website HERE.
As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment