Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks Review

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
Publisher: Grand Central
Pub. Date: August 7th, 2007
Pages: 224
Age Level: Adult
Obtained: Bought

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

My Thoughts:


I admit, the only reason I bumped this book up in my tbr pile was because the movie just barely came out and I refused to go watch it before I read the novel. The story was very catching from the first few words, I was completely mesmorized by the John's story. The way that he and Savannah meet is not necessary romantic but original in it's own sense. As I continued to read the novel, I could feel John's pain at having to leave Savannah and his joy at finally getting to see her again. I think the hardest part of the novel to read, personally, was his relationship with his father. Also having to make the choice of being loyal to his team and re-enlisting and sacrificing his happiness. I just loved the overall message of this novel. It makes you see things in such a different perspective. If you wanna see Dear John in movie theaters, then I strongly suggest that you read this novel. The movie doesn't do the novel any justice. That being said, I'm giving this novel 4 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:
Do you think long distance relationships work? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As Always,
That Chick That Reads

6 comments:

  1. I also am going to be reading(listening to it actually) this one soon because I also want to watch the movie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

    A: I think that long distance relationships take a lot of hard work and trust from both. With that being said, yes, I think that they can work out as long as both persons are happy and dedicated to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I don't know if or when I'll see this movie, but I doubt i'll get the shot to read the book before which is a bummer. I did get too for A Walk to Remember (finished the DAY I was seeing it lol)

    As for the question, I think it's hard and some people don't have the right relationship to make it work or aren't willing to WORK for it, but I think they can if it's right.

    I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

    http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

    --Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see the movie, but, like you, I need to read the book first. Nicholas Sparks' books just sound so...formulaic. I've turned away from his books for a while, but I have a few, so soon I think I'll dive into them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I think I'm gonna pass on the book and just watch the movie :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha I'm the exact same way! i saw the trailer, and immediately wanted to see it (I mean HELLO! There's CHANNING TATUM!!!) but I refuse to see it until I read the book, so I just ordered it from B&N. I'm so excited for it to come!
    Thanks for the great review! I will definitely be reading the book first!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would seem like such a sad book and I haven't read it yet but I really want to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete