Friday, February 5, 2010

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

robot

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pub. Date: October 1st, 2009
Pages: 288
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Won in Contest

New to town, Beatrice is expecting her new best friend to be one of the girls she meets on the first day. But instead, the alphabet conspires to seat her next to Jonah, aka Ghost Boy, a quiet loner who hasn't made a new friend since third grade. Something about him, though, gets to Bea, and soon they form an unexpected friendship. It's not romance, exactly - but it's definitely love. Still, Bea can't quite dispel Jonah's gloom and doom - and as she finds out his family history, she understands why. Can Bea help Jonah? Or is he destined to vanish?

My Thoughts:

This isn’t a book I normally go for, just because I really love those ooowey gooewey love stories but what’s awesome about this book is that it just left me completely and utterly breathless! Bea is such a fascinating character! Her mother tells her she’s a robot because she’s so “emotionless” and throughout the entire novel we see Bea grow and completely do a 360 from the way she was at the beginning of the novel. I think my favorite part of the novel were the late night show! It’s just amazing how people could unite and talk about just random things and make it feel like family. Oh and don’t get me started on Jonah, aka Ghost Boy. His character is a little different than most and he made me look at things so differently than I ever had before. I won’t tell you what it is just because I think it’ll ruin it for ya. This is def a must read in 2010! I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 paws.

3.5 pawsComment Question of the Blog:

If you were a robot, what kind of robot would you be? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,

That Chick That Reads

4 comments:

  1. I've read good things about this book. I will have to try it one day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be a robot that could teleport!

    Looking forward to reading this book someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to read this forever! It sounds so cute :) I have it on my shelf, and I need to get to it soon.

    A: Hmm. I don't knwo really. What kind of robots is there really? I'd be a robot like Wall-E or The Iron Giant (without the weapons of course) because they had feelings and were so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be a robot that could become invisible at the touch of a button.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete