Monday, February 8, 2010

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen Review

someone Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Speak
Pub. Date: May 11th, 2004
Pages: 288
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought

Best friends for years, Scarlett and Halley have shared everything. But at the beginning of their junior year in high school, Scarlett discovers she's pregnant and their friendship enters a new and challenging phase

My Thoughts:

As with all of the other Sarah Dessen’s books that I have read, this one is terrific! Everything changes with one phone call. A life lost, lives change, a new life born and a community is brought together by merely chance. Scarlett and Halley are the perfect example of best friends. They support each other in ways that even I haven’t experienced with my own friends. Halley has always seen her mother and Scarlett as the strong ones, but this time it’s Halley who has to be strong for both of them. Michael may be “dead” physically but he seemed so alive to me by the way that he was just ever so present in their lives! Then of coarse this is a Dessen book and we of coarse are going to have the love factor here. Halley ends up falling for bad boy/ Michael’s best friend Macon. This book goes into forgiveness, the choices of having to grow up even if your still a kid yourself, and the power of young love. Dessen continues to completely captivate me in all of her stories and this one is no exception. Definitely a must read guys! I give this novel 4 out of 5 paws.

4 paws Comment Question of the Blog:

When did you meet your best friend? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I really loved this one too :)


    Answer to question: I met my current two best friends the same year, in PE class freshman year. We all just kinda came together one day, because none of us knew anyone, and we've been best friends ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best friend I met in 1996 when I was pregnant with my daughter. Still besties today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this Dessen book, it's my favorite so far of the ones I read.

    A: I have two best friends.
    My longest friend ever, we met in sixth grade :) Which is around ten years ago I believe? Maybe eleven. I'm getting old. She lives pretty far, but we stll managed to jeep in touch all these years and I love her to pieces.

    My other best friend and I met around...maybe five years ago? He was my close friends younger brother, and even though that friend and I drifted apart, he and I remained close. We are great friends now and I treasure him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many stories for how I met my closest friends. We could be here all day! :D
    I really love Sarah Dessen (I mean, who doesn't?) This book is definately one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met my best friends:
    In dance class, then we hung out more at school
    At school in 5th grade
    When I was a newborn, because we are cousins!

    I loved this book too. It was the first Sarah Dessen book I ever got, but I don't think it was her first I read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete