Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Author Spotlight: Y.S. Lee Interview!

I got to interview the awesome Y.S. Lee, author of The Spy in the House! Also if you wanna know how to win a copy check out the link to do so after the interview! So here are the questions guys!

image 1. How did you first get the idea for writing A Spy in the House?

I re-read Jane Eyre and was annoyed, once again, by its ending. I don’t think Jane should have married Rochester; I think she should have taken her massive inheritance and done something really exciting. But then I began wondering about poor, smart, uneducated girls who didn’t have Jane’s options: what happened to them? That was the birth of Mary Quinn.

2. Did you have to do much research about the time period in which Mary lived?

Yes and no. I have a PhD in Victorian literature and culture, so much of my research was already done and lodged uselessly in the back of my mind. I did research specific things, though – shipping insurance, the construction of railways in India, the history of revolvers. I ADORE research.

3. How many books are there going to be in the series?

Right now, I’m writing the third and trying to figure out what I want to write next. There are lots of possibilities for the Agency, and a few non-Agency ideas I want to consider, too.

4. What's the hardest thing about writing?

Finishing a book. Plotting a book is bliss; starting one is a rush. But that bogged-down feeling you get at the 2/3 point of the manuscript? Slogging through that is what distinguishes writers from dreamers.

5. If you get interrupted in the middle of writing, how hard or easy is it to jump back into it?

It depends on the interruption. If it’s emotionally stressful, it’s hard to refocus.

6. Is there any advice you would give to aspiring authors?

You have to be a reader before you can be a writer.

7. Tell us something unique about yourself, whether it be hobbies or favorite music.

I have double-jointed elbows. My hobbies are yoga and cooking; my favorite singer-songwriter right now is Rufus Wainwright.

8. Do you listen to music while you write or before? After?

I can’t listen to music with lyrics while writing – I’d just end up singing all day. But afterwards, definitely – it’s a great way to unwind.

9. How much time do you spend writing a day?

Anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 hours, depending on the day (and how close my deadline is).

10. Lets end with a silly question: when your sitting in a movie theater, which arm rest is yours? Right or left?

Ha! I’ll go with whichever doesn’t involve touching the stranger beside me.

If you wanna win a copy of her novel and some other goodies check out her post in the link below!

http://yslee.com/2010/03/more-loot-aka-the-if-i-were-a-spy-contest/

If you wanna check her out, you can do so below!

Blog tour schedule with links to participating bloggers on our Weebly: http://travelingtoteenstours.weebly.com/tours---2010.html
Ying's author website: http://yslee.com/
Ying's blog tour schedule on her website, with no links to blogs: http://yslee.com/2010/02/pre-launch-lunacy/
Ying's Twitter: http://twitter.com/yinglee

As always,

That Chick That Reads

1 comment:

  1. I have always been in awe of those with double-jointed body parts, it's crazy cool ;)

    I'm a dreamer then because while I would love to start to write a book, I would never be able to finish writing it. I'm too impatient!

    ReplyDelete