Monday, March 29, 2010

Confessions of a Not it Girl by Melissa Cantor Review

confessionsofan Confessions of a Not it Girl by Melissa Cantor   
Publisher: Hyperion 
Pub. Date:  May 1st, 2006 
Pages:  256 pages
Age Level: Young Adult   
Obtained: Library  

High school is never easy . . . and when you are suffering from a hubris complex and are convinced that the gods on Olympus have focused their attention on you, things are sure to get even harder. In this smart and sassy debut novel, the spotlight is on Jan Miller-a self-labeled "Not It" girl struggling to find out what and who she wants. From her best friend, who is an It girl, to her parents, who are way too embarrassing to her crushes (who always seem to be in the right place at the wrong time), there is never a dull moment for Jan. With college application deadlines looming and a group of seemingly vindictive gods ready to sabotage her every move, Jan is about to set off on a memorable trip through senior year and prove that being a "Not It" girl has some major rewards. From first-time author Melissa Kantor comes a fresh and witty look at senior year from the perspective of one girl convinced she is everything but "It." Melissa Kantor teaches at a high school in Brooklyn, New York, where she lives with her husband. This is her first novel.

My Thoughts:

Honestly, I could not wait until I finished reading this book. And it wasn’t because it was really good; it was mostly because I found it horrible. I mean the main character Jan puts herself down because her best friend is named an “It Girl” in this major magazine but she walks around thinking that she’s pretty much irresistible to all guys. When I got to the end, I was pretty much not surprised by the ending.  I mean don’t get me wrong, some of the stuff in this novel was actually pretty funny but I just couldn’t stand how one moment she would be conceited and have these out of the world scenes play in her mind and then the next minute she’s thinks she’s better than everyone else. Jan’s character seems so one dimensional. Her best friend and her love interest seem to have more depth. Personally I didn’t really like the novel  but maybe it’s just me? Anyway overall I give this novel 2.5 out of 5 paws.

Comment Question of the Blog:

If your best friend were the “It Girl”, what would you do? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment