Monday, April 5, 2010

That Summer by Sarah Dessen Review

thatsummer That Summer by Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Pub. Date: April 6th, 2006
Pages: 198
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Library

For fifteen-year-old Haven, life is changing too quickly. She's nearly six feet tall, her father is getting remarried, and her sister,the always perfect Ashley,is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley's reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future.

My Thoughts:
Another awesome Dessen book! This book hit a little bit too close to home. My parents got separated, as did Haven’s, and then my dad just sprang the news that he was getting married. Ashley’s wedding was sort of like when my sister went off to college and I was left behind, my mom made this huge deal and she was such a (insert word here). So like Haven, I looked back to the past and thought about all the happy times I had when I was younger. It just felt more solid. You can see Haven change from this youngster to a teen little by little, until the end where you could totally see the 360 her character did. And then there’s Sumner, Ashley’s old high school boyfriend. He comes back into Haven’s life taking her along the ride for a summer that’s filled with things she must come to grips with. Sarah Dessen is a completely amazing author and her debut novel def is one to admire. I give this novel 4 out of 5 paws.

4_paws_thumb[1] Comment Question of the Day:
When you were fifteen, what did you do all summer? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment