Tuesday, January 18, 2011

By the Time You Read This, I’ll be Dead by Julie Anne Peters Review

bythetimeBy the Time You Read This, I’ll be Dead by Julie Anne Peters
Publisher: Hyperion Book
Pub. Date: January 5th, 2010  
Pages: 224
Age Level: Young Adult    
Obtained: Library

Daelyn Rice is broken beyond repair, and after a string of botched suicide attempts, she’s determined to get her death right. She starts visiting a website for “completers”— www.through-the-light .com.

While she’s on the site, Daelyn blogs about her life, uncovering a history of bullying that goes back to kindergarten. When she’s not on the Web, Daelyn’s at her private school, where she’s known as the freak who doesn’t talk.

Then, a boy named Santana begins to sit with her after school while she’s waiting to for her parents to pick her up. Even though she’s made it clear that she wants to be left alone, Santana won’t give up. And it’s too late for Daelyn to be letting people into her life…isn’t it?

National Book Award finalist Julie Anne Peters shines a light on how bullying can push young people to the very edge.

My Thoughts:

As I’ve said before. Kids suck. No matter where you go, what you do, someone will always talk smack about you. This novel is well written and it had me guessing and honestly still has me guessing. I felt so sorry for Daelyn though out the entire novel, she didn’t have anyone at school and it seemed like her parents didn’t want her either. I’ve heard of a website similar to the one she visited and it gave me chills every time I read about it. I hate that bullying exist and that it claims lives every single day. Books like these should be a required reading because most people do not realize how badly bullying affects those that they bully. Peters does an amazing job in creating a story that still haunts me to this day. I give this novel 5 out of 5 paws.

5_paws_thumb[1]Comment Question of the Blog:

Is there anything you do to help prevent Bullycide? Do you have anything at your school? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't planning to read this until I read your review. Now I think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I agree that this is the kind of book that would be great as required reading in schools :)

    PS: New follower!

    ReplyDelete