Monday, March 7, 2011

Wake (Dream Catcher #1) by Lisa McMann Review

wakeWake (Dream Catcher #1) by Lisa McMann
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: March 4th, 2008
Pages: 210
Age Level: Young Adult    
Obtained: Bought

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

My Thoughts:

So I love the general idea of the novel. The only thing I don’t like is the writing. It just seems kind of bland. Janie is this abused, isolated kid who jumps from dream to dream. Her mom doesn’t care about her, her best friend cares more about her boyfriend Stu and Janie isn’t a normal teenager. I just think that her character is so bland. Like we know her mom is an alcoholic but there’s like zero interaction between them pretty much. The story line was very good. I love the idea of dream walking and then a love interest that battles it all, but the writing is what got me. It was just so choppy… If it were a little clearer, I probably would have liked it a lot more… For this reason, I give it 3 out of 5 paws.

3_paws_thumb1Comment Question of the blog:

If you could dream walk, would you? Why or why not? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

3 comments:

  1. At first I struggled with the writing as well, but then I got used to it and realized that I thought that detached "voice" increased my liking of the book. But I can definitely see where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own dreams are crazy enough, so I don't think I'd enjoy dream-walking (especially since it's so scary in the book!).

    I couldn't stand the choppy writing. It drove me crazy, and I really agree with the blandness of the characters. This book just didn't do it for me. :\

    ReplyDelete