Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Daily Guidepost: The First Year of Motherhood by Julia Attaway Review

motherhoodDaily Guidepost: The First Year of Motherhood by Julia Attaway 
Publisher: Guidepost books
Pub. Date:  April 1st 2011
Pages: 400
Age Level: First Time Parents
Obtained: Received for Review

Presented in the popular Daily Guideposts format, this encouraging devotional is written by experienced mothers for new mothers.

Though the first year of motherhood is a blessing, it can also be a physical, emotional and spiritual challenge. Written specifically for new mothers who have only a few minutes to pray each day, the pieces in this devotional come from experienced moms of faith who offer companionship, insights, struggles and laughter. More than fifteen contributors share how God has been with them as they've changed diapers, gone through unexpected changes in their prayer lives, and dealt with changing relationships with friends, spouses and family. Each day's short reading offers a nugget of practical faith to absorb, a Bible verse, and a prayer.

As editor Julia Attaway explains in her Introduction, 'This book is a guidebook of sorts, a travelogue written by those who have already gone down the sometimes rocky road of becoming a parent. The twenty moms (and one dad) you'll meet here will regale you with tales of love, frustration, exhaustion and humor. They open their hearts and lives so that you can walk with them through the daily challenge of growing in faith and parenting wisdom.' New mothers will find support and laughter in Daily Guideposts: Your First Year of Motherhood and a new and welcoming group of friends and prayer partners.


My Thoughts:

If you're a first time parent, you know that life with a newborn is not easy. Even if you have two, three, ten kids it doesn't make it any easier. The first year of motherhood is always the toughest. You have to go by instinct. Some, as with myself, worry about not being a good mother or not doing the right thing. I had my daughter 6 months ago and these past 6 months have been an adventure to say the least. My daughter was a preemie born at 32 weeks, weighing in at 2 lbs 15 oz. It's hard having a preemie, she isn't as advanced as a normal child her age is and the doctors kept telling me that she would catch up by the time she turns 2. It doesn't make it any easier when I don't know anyone who's had a preemie. Well this book has an author in it who did. It broke my heart when I read "I strained my ears, wanting to hear a baby in the car seat behind me, but it sat empty, straps flopped open. I thought of my baby girl and my heart screamed "Turn Around!" as we placed more miles between us. How could we leave her?" (Hatcher 9.) Finally someone who understands! I felt completely helpless having to leave my daughter in the NICU. I had this birth plan and it all went wrong. No one understood my frustration at leaving my daughter at the hospital. It wasn't until I read that passage that it occurred to me that I wasn't the only one. I had someone out there in a similar situation, who at one point thought just like me. There was another one about a mother's friend holding her child and making her smile. The child had not once smiled like that at their mother and she felt incredibly jealous. I was also once in that same position! It's crazy because now because of this book I have found myself thinking it's normal! I'm not a bad mother! Just because I behave this way or that way does not make me a bad mother! Forgetting a diaper or her bottle is normal. Every time I read something of the sorts I thank god for honestly not making me the only one. These women have guiding me in accepting that every once in a while I might need help and it's normal to want to pull your hair out, or normal to look like a zombie. It's ok! Honestly couldn't have hoped for a better book! I give this one 5 out of 5 paws! Every new and even repeat mother definitely needs a copy and with mother's day around the corner I highly suggest it!

5_paws_thumb[1]Comment Question of the Blog:

What was your most memorable memory of either your child or a young child that you took care of, family ect. Let me know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

1 comment:

  1. It always helped (helps) me to read about other mothers who have gone through the same experience. When I started talking to my 4 year old son's best friend's mothers and they were doing the same thing as him, it made me feel like "Oh he is normal and this is normal behavior. Good!"

    ReplyDelete