Friday, May 27, 2011

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Review

thereplacementThe Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff 
Publisher: Razorbill
Pub. Date: September 21st 2010
Pages: 343
Age Level: Young Adult    
Obtained: Library

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.
Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

My Thoughts:

I’ve heard great things about this one from not just people in the bloggerverse but librarians in my local library and a couple of friends. I was intrigued but at the same time I thought, faeries? Really? I’m not so big on the whole faerie story so it took me a little while to pick it up but I just couldn’t put it down right afterwards. Well in this book we meet Mackie who is what they call a replacement. He was left to die in a crib in exchange for a human baby. He wants to be normal. Needs to be. This book is so beautifully written. I hardly ever see books written from a males point of view and when I do it always surprises me at how good they are written. This novel gave me nightmares at night. I had just had my baby not to long after I had begun reading this book and until just recently just started putting her to bed in her own bedroom instead of my own. Yeah, it was kind of creepy. Anyway, if you really enjoy a good book about faeries, then this is def a must read. Yovanoff does an excellent job in scaring the living stuff out of anyone with this lyrical read. I give this 5 out 5 paws.

5_paws_thumb[1]Comment Question of the Blog:

What are your favorite faerie books if you have read any? Lemme know in the comment section below.

As always,

That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment