Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis Review

acrosstheuniverseAcross the Universe by Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Pub. Date: January 11th 2011
Pages: 398
Age Level: Young Adult    
Obtained: Bought for Nook

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Thoughts:

Ok a lot of you guys are going to judge me for not liking this book but here it goes. This book isn’t horrible it’s just not my cup of tea. It just didn’t really make all that much sense to me. I didn’t like the romance at all between Amy and Ender. It just didn’t seem to click. I didn’t connect to them very well. There were two moments where I did with Amy. The first was when she decided to join her parents in this new journey and the second when she was running in the crops with the no way out. They were well written and I liked how it made me think about how I felt back in my younger ages. I didn’t like the whole mating season or the Elder type dictatorship, which was what it was. I’m not going to completely bash it. I actually liked how she put the book in both of these persepctives giving us the old but new girl who could teach these new people a little something and the old but new guy who learns from girl and falls in love. Would I read #2? Yes. Can I hope it’s going to be a little better than the first? It hopefully will be. I guess it’s because everyone in the bloggerverse seems so excited for this one that it made me a little excited and I just had high expectations for it and when they weren’t met it sort of sucked but I have faith number 2 will be better! Here’s to the future! I give this book 3 out of 5 paws.

3_paws_thumb1Comment Question of the blog:

If you had a choice to be frozen to better society in a different planet. Would you? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment