Monday, June 20, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson Review

theadorationofjennafoxThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
Publisher: Square Fish  
Pub. Date: August 2009 
Pages: 261
Age Level: Young Adult    
Obtained: Bought

Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

This fascinating novel represents a stunning new direction for acclaimed author Mary Pearson. Set in a near future America, it takes readers on an unforgettable journey through questions of bio-medical ethics and the nature of humanity. Mary Pearson's vividly drawn characters and masterful writing soar to a new level of sophistication.


My Thoughts: 

So this girl Jenna Fox wakes up from an 18 month coma wondering who she is, where she is, who she is with. She’s then been recovering from this terrible accident that her parents speak of but don’t discuss and it’s up to Jenna to find out exactly who she is and the details of her current reality. I mean who wouldn’t be scared to wake up not knowing the basics? Not knowing your mother, grandmother or even your own father. Having to watch tapes of your own life so you can try to remember important events that should be etched in your brain forever right? This book made me think a lot about motherhood. I’m a new mother, my daughter is just 5 months old and I would do everything in my power to provide the best for her. I could only imagine her parent’s state of mind were during those tough 18 months. I lived in that state for a good 6 weeks after my daughter was born and I would’ve given up my life if it meant that she would live until she had a good life. This book gave me a good insight and Pearson blew me away with this poetic, noteworthy book that branches of into many discussions beyond motherhood and even being a kid. Completely amazing! I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 paws.

3_5paws_thumb1Comment Question of the blog:

What would you do if you woke up from a long coma only to discover you don’t know who you are? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always
That Chick That Reads

1 comment:

  1. I read this book in 2009 and found it so-so. I came across quite a number of raving reviews on the book but was a bit disappointed when I finished the book. Still, it kind of stands out from other YA books. :)

    Also, I wouldn't know what I'd do if I woke up one day like that. I'd probably be bugging people, asking a lot of questions. Haha!

    Congratulations on being a new mom! :)

    ReplyDelete