Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells Review

thesummerofskinnydippingThe Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pub. Date: June 1st 2010
Pages: 324 pages
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought

Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.

My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything.

My Thoughts:

I bought this book after seeing it on sale in the Nook section and I saw that it had a lot of good reviews so I decided to purchase it and give it a chance. I honestly couldn't be more pleased with it! Mia and her family go to their family's vacation home for the summer. She's excited to see her cousin because they hadn't seen each other in 3 years and they were pretty much like p.b. and j until just recently. She started noticing that her cousins emails, text and phone calls seemed shorter as time went on until they were pretty much non existent. When they arrive it just a roller coaster ride even after the end.

This book is totally relatable. I felt like I was in the same position as Mia. No matter how hard you try, your younger sister always has the upper hand. Her parents were decent, except her mom reminded me of mine and most of the book I was just urgh with her. Although her dad was a dad that I wished I had. I love that this book pretty much shows how not everything is what it seems. It's one of those bittersweet story's. Simon and Mia's relationship was far more real than a lot of the other books I've read. It was slow but fast but everything in between all at the same time. This book was just full of awesome. Howells did an excellent job in keeping me interested as well as developing a deep message that will stay with me long after the book! I give this one 4 out of 5 paws.

4_paws_thumb[1]Comment Question of the Blog:

What was your most memorable summer? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment