Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

10thingswedidTen Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Pub. Date: June 7th 2011
Pages: 194
Age Level: Young Adult
Obtained: Library 

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.

My Thoughts:

This book was really cute. It’s funny and so honestly cute. At first I honestly couldn’t get into the book. There’s was a lot of lying. Actually too much lying and if that were my daughter trying to come up with those lies, let me tell you I’ve prob done it and she would def not get away with it. It was like if it was too easy. Like I would never allow my daughter to live with her friend and just email her mom about her whereabouts, If and If I actually allowed her to do it, trust me I’d be getting on the phone, dropping by unexpectedly and doing all sorts of stuff. But I guess parenting has made me crazy. I didn’t like the love triangle. It was just too I don’t know. If you read the book you know what I mean. It just annoyed me at times. It just felt like she had to have sex with her boyfriend in order to keep him and that’s not what a relationship should be like. There were a couple of issues that most authors avoid just because they’re tough but I have to say that Mlynowski made it interesting and an awesome job with it. It had it’s laugh out loud moments and others where I was honestly and positively certain she was going to be caught. I def am looking forward to some more of this authors stuff! 4 out of 5 paws.

4_paws_thumb[1]Comment Question of the Blog:

What’s one thing you’ve done but shouldn’t have? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment