Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini Review

starcrossedTitle: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Pages: 487
Publishing Date: May 21st 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Audience: Teen
Obtained: Nook and Softcover bought

How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart

My Thoughts:

I was a little hesitant to read this book. Don’t ask me why? I guess I just have to be in the mood to read a certain kind of book. There were some good things that I loved about the book but there were also some things that I wish could’ve been done a little better.

It’s been a long time since I haven’t read a novel where there is a single parent or where there are absentee parents involved. I guess I felt that it was expected I guess? I don’t know. I guess I have to give her father credit. At least he wanted to parent her. Although it felt more like a Bella/dad relationship. I just wish they would’ve developed more of a relationship. That would’ve def been a refresher.

Let’s stop and talk about the main characters. In the beginning of the novel they’re trying to kill each other! They seriously try killing each other! It’s described as this incredible hate that fuels that murderous state. I think that’s pretty cool to be perfectly honest. The only problem I have with this is that if they’re in a school and that hate is so powerful, how can they not just go and finish each other off? I don’t know.. Well anyway, so not to get into too many details their debt is paid and they stop their murderous streak. I don’t know how I feel about the whole murder ordeal at all.

The one thing that I really did enjoy is that the minor characters were very present in the book. It was actually a very awesome thing! I abs loved all of their qualities.

The greek mythology was actually a cool concept. I really liked how everything turned out. It’s actually one of the few mythological books that I’ve read and that aspect def wasn’t disappointing.

The only thing that I really didn’t like was the fact that it seemed to Twilight-ish. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Twilight. I just disagree with the concept. I guess it’s because I would hate it if my daughter just completely gave up because a boy left her sort of thing. Anyway, I guess if you like Twilight, then Starcrossed is def up your alley.

Comment Question of the Blog:

What’s your favorite mythological character and why? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment