Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Book Review: Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike

Book: Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike
Pages: 352
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought on Nook

Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto.

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

My Thoughts:

Let me admit it right now. I like covers. Chances are that I'll buy a book, more often than not, if the cover is pretty or just makes me swoon. With this one, I just loved it. It was pretty and the scene that reflects back from the glasses is just to die for. I could tell right away that it was going to take place somewhere with a beautiful view. I didn't even read the synopsis and I didn't even give the title a second thought. I saw the title Life After Theft and thought that it might have to do with someone who was a thief and wasn't anymore and how it affected them. Yeah, I was wrong. See, I warned you. Total book cover crusher. So when I finally started reading it and found out that: A) It was told in a male perspective and B) it was about a kleptomaniac who happened to be a ghost. To tell you I was surprised is an understatement.


I'll admit. At first, the book didn't hook me in. I put it down regularly and would pick it up, just to put it down again. I did this for the first few chapters up until we got some decent action going. The main character Jeff isn't too bad. He's a brand new kid, who transfers to this ritzy school, after his parents acquire some money. The kids at this school are kind of meh and then of course he has to fall for the bad girl turned good Sera. Oh and to make matters worse, he sees the ghost of a girl who died about a year before he got there named Kimberlee. She has a sticky finger problem, a very large one at that. So large, that when she takes Jeff to the cave so that he can help her return everything she did steal, he is horrified. Kimberlee got on my nerves most of the time. She was this selfish and problematic character. Even though she tries righting her wrongs, I can't help but be annoyed because she does it because she doesn't want to be stuck in the world where she can't steal anymore, rather than because she truly is sorry. I just didn't find her genuine as I did with Jeff and even Sera.

Throughout the entire book, I was just kind of snoozing. Even when things picked up, they slowed right back down. It had the potential to be a total 4 or even 5 star for me. It was def a 4 star up until the end. This book ended up leaving me with a weird type of feeling. I don't know what to feel. My emotions are just all over the place. I can't get over how the book just ended.

 

Even as I think about it now, I still don't know what to feel. There were a lot of questions left unanswered. It felt like a stand alone book, so my hope for another book giving me some answers just went out the window.

Leaving my review at that, I liked the book for the most part. It was funny, cute and the romance was just completely adorable. I give this book a 3.5 out of 5 rating, just because of that ending. If you do decide to read it, you will understand why.

Comment Question of the Blog:

If you had a ghost stalking you, what would you do? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment