Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Pages: 344
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: May 4th 2010
Audience: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought Hardcover

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts:

I think I fall in the minority who didn't fell that this book was epic enough. I had recently read Second Chance Summer and was so in love with it that I decided to finally take this one off my bookshelf (it's been sitting on there for a long time) and read it.

Let me start off with the thing I loved most about the book. Her mother sends her this book that can document her road trip and I found myself looking forward to these pages. I liked seeing if I could recognize some of the songs that were on Rogers list and sometimes I would even pull out my ipod and play some of them. What's more fun than being out on the open road and being, in a sense, free. I remember when I first got my license, all I wanted to do was drive. Something like this would have immediately been the highlight of my young adult life. Amy and Roger create so many memories and I really enjoyed watching them go through their detour.

I liked Amy well enough. Her grief didn't completely take over the entire book but it was present enough that you were able to feel it but not be overwhelmed by it. Roger was a different story. He reminds me of one of those people that gets completely consumed by a relationship. He and his girlfriend broke up and he's still so hung up on her. Calling at any chance he gets and even goes as far as planning a visit, when she won't even return his phone calls. You could definitely tell a difference in both characters from who they were at the beginning to who they become at the end.

The romance in this book is slow. While there is insta attraction, there was nothing that screamed "I love him, want to marry him and bone him because he's so attractive". I think that's what I really liked about the book. How everything just kind of flowed together and how it just fit together like a complete puzzle. While the ending doesn't give us a completely healed characters, I love the vulnerability and the fact that something doesn't get fixed right away. It doesn't have to happen over night and you know what? That's ok! It takes time to heal! That's my favorite part of this book.

The only downside to this book is the predictability. From the first chapter, I already knew where the story was going to go. I don't always like knowing what is going to happen before I get to it so that's the only thing that disappointed me and made me find this book not as epic as the title may suggest.

Leaving my review with that, I really did enjoy this book. If you read it, have an Ipod, tissues and a shoulder to cry on because you are going to need it. I give this one 3 out of 5 stars.

Comment Question of the Blog:

If you could take a road trip anywhere, where would you go and why? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment