Thursday, October 10, 2013

Review: If We Kiss by Rachel Vail

If We Kiss (If We Kiss, #1)Title: If We Kiss by Rachel Vail
Pages:288

Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: December 27th 2011
Audience: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought both Paperback and on Nook

Kevin led me quickly around the side of the building, then stopped. I managed not to crash into him. I tried to look calm, cool, unperturbed. I told myself not to laugh, especially not a snorting kind of laugh. "Wha . . . what did . . ."
And then he kissed me.

If We Kiss is the story of Charlotte (Charlie to her friends), who finds herself falling for a boy who is off-limits. Her best friend is in love with him, and her mother and his father are dating. Still, Charlie can't help but wonder, what would happen if we kiss?


My Thoughts:
Remember how I was telling you I was a cover lover? Yup, it happened again. I bought this book in paperback and then because I just could not get enough of it, I bought it on my Nook. Oh you deceiving covers.

So this story is about Charlie, a girl who has (up until now) never been kissed and the events that unravel after the much awaited kiss comes. This book is definitely geared for a younger audience. My younger, much more innocent self would have appreciated this book a lot more than I, as an adult, did.

I found Charlie's voice annoying. I mean that in the nicest way. How many times do you think about your past or if you have a younger sibling and think "Is that really all they think about?". I realized that it really was. The entire book, I just kept thinking, "I hope that's not what I really sounded like when I was in school." Which was of course true. I really did sound like that in my head. The entire book, she was so obsessed about Kevin and that kiss. She concluded in the first two or three chapters that she was in love. I felt like I was rolling my eyes the entire way through.

Oh and don't get me started on the insta-love. If you guys don't know, I'm against insta-love. I have always just believed that it takes more than a persons looks to get you hooked it. I mean it is a part of it, but that's what attracts you to them, it doesn't make you fall in love with them. Falling in love requires so much more than just that first kiss. Especially, one that you didn't even enjoy. OK end of rant there. The one thing that I truly really loved was George. I saw so much potential to his character and honestly wish that he would've been in it a lot more than he really was. I was always so eager when I read the parts that he had in it. I just can't get over how much potential he had! Ugh! Lastly, her best friend. I'm sorry. If my so called "best friend' ever treated me in the slightest the way hers did, she would've been left to fend for herself a long time ago. I'm sorry. I found her rude and insensitive and someone who I wouldn't be found associating with.

This is honestly one of those books I wouldn't even recommend my daughter. Like some of you know, I love powerful female characters. I love those characters that embrace their self worth and empower themselves to be much better than they were at the beginning of the book. I guess it's because I want my daughter to know that it's more important to embrace herself than to obsess over what boy she likes and on. This one just didn't do it for me. It's a decent read. I ended up reading it in one sitting. While I wasn't completely impressed with it, I didn't absolutely hate it. It's just one of those that would appeal more to a younger audience. There is a second book out there, but after reading this one, I won't be reading that one. I give this one 3 out of 5.

Comment Question of the Blog:

What was your first kiss like? Memorable? Not memorable? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment