Sunday, October 13, 2013

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1)
Title: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Pages: 336
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publishing Date: May 22nd 2012
Audience: Young Adult
Obtained: Bought for Nook

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

My Thoughts:

I don't do mermaids. I just don't. Don't ask me why, I just don't like em. The thing that drew me into this book was, you got it! The cover. Of course! Just by looking at the cover you could instantly tell that it was going to have something to do with something underwater. I had just finished this awesome book about mermaids and so I thought I'd give this one a shot and let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed entirely.

It had a pretty good pace and I didn't find myself bored while reading the book. While it was predictable, I found myself wanting to know what happens next. Which doesn't happen nearly as often as I would like it to.

Of Poseidon is the story of Emma, who finds out she's Syrena. Not only is she a Syrena, she can also talk to fish and is the cure to save all of the Syrena society.

This book is told in two perspectives. Both Emma and Galen's point of view. I just can't get over how weird it was written. One was written in first and the other was written in third. I just wished that I could hear Galen's voice instead of kind of getting a feel for it. The writing at times was humorous. I found myself laughing out loud and waking up my poor husband in the middle of the night. I really liked Emma's character. She had the same reactions I would have if I found out I was the source of survival for a whole species.

So let's talk the insta-love. Like I've said before, I really can not stand it. I just can't. Galen's character was what threw me off a bit. He's such a, excuse my language, but he's such a douche bag. We get it Galen, you're a stud muffin. You can have who ever and get whatever you want but don't treat Emma like she's a piece of your property that you can control and let her have no say. It's like these books in the young adult literature are giving young ladies these ideas that being with a controlling man is ok, when in reality it's not. It's a typical assumption in today's society and I just don't like it.

Other than that, I found it a quick and mostly enjoyable read. I did figure out the ending halfway through the book so that was anti-climatic but I immediately opened book 2 on my Nook. So I guess that shows how much I liked it. Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Comment Question of the Day:

How would you feel if you found out that you were a Syrena? Let me know in the comment section below!

As Always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment