Title: Slide by Michelle Congdon
Publishing Date: July 18th 2013
Audience: New Adult 18+
Obtained: Provided by Blog Tour for honest review
After surviving a horrific car accident that claimed the lives of her mother and brother, Evangeline made a promise to herself to never go back to the city filled with the memories of her tragic past. But when her estranged father suddenly falls ill, she has no choice but to return to New York and to the life she spent twelve years trying to avoid.
Since the accident, heiress to the multi-billion dollar Montgomery Empire, Evangeline has always feared the media attention that comes with having the Montgomery name and would immediately give it all up if it meant the chance to bring back her loved ones. Delicate and camera shy, the last person she should have on her mind is a type of guy like Ryan Fox.
Witty, extremely arrogant but undeniably good-looking are only a few words Evangeline can use to describe the New York Yankee’s hot-shot. The notorious bad boy― well-versed at playing the game both on and off the field― isn't fazed about the media circus following his every move and couldn't be anymore different to the quiet, shy girl that she is. So, what does a guy like him see in somebody as messed-up as her? And although everything about Ryan screams trouble with a capital T, why can't Evangeline seem to stay away? It's not until they're away from the cameras that Evangeline begins to see the real man hiding behind the cocky facade- one that's hurt and haunted by a dark and terrible secret.
What will happen once Evangeline finds the courage to reveal what really happened on the evening her mother and brother died? And how will she react when she finally learns the truth about Ryan's chilling past? Will baring their deepest secrets bring them closer together or will it tear them apart and have them sliding into darkness all over again?
I was very impressed with this book. I finished it in one sitting and I honestly could not get enough! The book is centered around Evangeline or “Evie” who is traumatized after the accident that took the life of her older brother and mother. She meets Ryan, who is this sexy and just arrogant guy, who she thought she could just have a one night stand with. She ends up finding out by chance that he’s this big shot Baseball player and everything that she’s . [[baseball player; insert happy dance here]]
I loved the characters! They were very well developed and even the side characters were enjoyable and I even found myself wishing that they were in more scenes. My favorite of course what Ryan flipping Fox. I mean come on! Just the name itself [[I was going to put woof but then the “what does the fox say” song popped in my head lol]]. He has faults and he doesn’t deny them. He’s honest to the core and even though at times I wanted to reach in the book and shake him, I could see the big difference his character made from the beginning to the very last page of the book. Evie on the other hand I sometimes found her judgment kind of strong. She was just too distrusting but trusting at the same time? I don’t know if that makes sense. Anyway, usually I don’t say this but I think some of these characters should totally have a book just for themselves! Loved loved loved them.
The only thing that I didn’t enjoy that much was just toward the ending. I felt like it was just dragging on and on. I wished that it could’ve gone a little quicker but I still loved it. The only other complaint is that I had no idea about what kind of time frame they were working with. Like how long did it take them to say I love you and so on. Also, while on that note, I abs hate insta love but for some reason it just worked for this book. I did predict how it was going to play out but I honestly enjoyed it. As soon as I’m done writing this, I’m going to go look if the book in Ryan’s point of view is up for preorder! I can’t wait to get into his head and heart<3! I give this one 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Comment Question of the Blog:
What do you find sexy about athlete romantic figures in books? Lemme know in the comment section below!
That Chick That Reads
About the Author
Michelle Congdon resides in Sydney, Australia. She has a Dalmatian named Jett, who to this day continues to hold an 8 year grudge against her after she had to leave him with her parents when she moved to the big city- this only proves animals are much like their owners. Michelle enjoys reading books of all sorts of genre's, watching way too many movies and TV shows (and Disney cartoons), singing out aloud to her favorite hits and going on adventures involving food and travel. Michelle is loud, talks a lot and shares an ever-growing list of fictional husbands with a friend. From when she was a small girl, she has always had an overactive imagination and has tried to put it to good use by sharing her stories with anyone willing to listen.
Blog I Facebook I Twitter I Goodreads
10 Things You May Not Know About Michelle:
- I am left handed, but use my right hand to do most things except to write.
- I can recite Disney’s the Lion King and Aladdin word from word (including the songs).
- I am addicted to video games and wish I had more spare time to play them.
- I won “Aussie of the Month” in primary school but was sick that day, so my sister had to go up in the middle of school assembly and get the award.
- I have a gluten intolerance but I’m always naughty and eat things I shouldn’t. I suffer the consequences every time.
- I am scared of balloons. I can’t pop them. I can’t be near anyone blowing one up. Sometimes I will attempt to blow them up but will only go to half-size.
- I enjoy listening to classical music
- I am very passionate about animals and plants, and struggle to even squash a cockroach.
- I have a strange fear of any kind of electric shocks (including static electricity) and also irons if it is in someone else’s hand and I am near by?!? (Yes, as in the object you use to straighten out your clothes.) I don’t know where either fear originated. What I can say is I cried like a little girl when my friend was messing with me and chasing me around with a small Taser gun. When he realized I was well and truly frightened, he decided to stop. Haha.
- I have a scrapbook and a large corkboard filled with favorite memorabilia that I have collected from my life.
- 1 $10 Amazon Gift Card
- 1 Digital of Slide by Michelle Congdon through Rafflecopter
- 1 Digital of Slide by Michelle Congdon to one Random Commentor
For giveaway please visit here to enter!