Saturday, December 21, 2013

Review: Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

stealingparkerTitle: Stealing parker by Miranda Kenneally   
Pages: 242 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publishing Date: October 1st 2012 
Audience: Young Adult 
Obtained: Bought Nookbook

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.
Now Parker wants a new life.
So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?
But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?

My Thoughts:

Miranda Kenneally has become one of my autobuy authors. I don’t have many that I do that for. The ones off the top of my head are Richelle Mead, Sarah Dessen and John Green. Every time I get to the last page on one of her books I always want more and when I pick up another one, old characters make an appearance and it makes me giddy! She’s like another Sarah Dessen for me and let me tell you, that’s a very good thing.

If you haven’t read “Catching Jordan” you should def pick it up before you read this one, although you don’t necessarily need to read it in any order. The thing I love most about these books are that they have sports in them but they don’t dominate everything there is to be about the book. There’s friendships and relationships and just a whole bunch of awesomeness. I mean, when I picked up “Catching Jordan” for the first time I was a little apprehensive. When I was in high school I was an individual sport person, I was a runner and so the dynamics of sport teams always manage to confuse me since I was never in that kind of position but in these books it didn’t make me feel like an outsider. In “Stealing Parker” Parker loves softball or she did anyway before she just quit cold turkey. Her best friend ends up talking her into managing the boys baseball team where she meets the young new assistant coach. What was once innocent flirtation turns into a dangerous secret relationship. We all know how those types of relationships turn out.

Parker was such a relatable character. I was and am so in love with her character. We see her transform into such a strong character. It’s not a sudden transformation but a gradual one that made me feel so good while reading it. I did like the side characters. They all had their personalities and the way they react to some of the situations that happen in the book is what I would expect would happen in real life. I would never expect a best friend to stick next to their friend if they continued to back stab them or lie to them and so forth so the reality of the book was just one of the things I really enjoyed. Not to mention her relationship with Corndog. Talk about opposites attract.

The situation between she and the coach didn’t bother me entirely. The only thing that just made me put down the book while I gathered myself was the inappropriate touching. I mean this guy is a college grad shouldn’t he know better? What kind of person takes advantage of a teenager, one that has all these other things happening in her life.

Religion is such a taboo in literature. Some people get so offended when reading anything other than their practiced religion. I thought that the religion angle in this book was perfect. It shows the difference between churches and it teaches you that sometimes things are not what they seam on the outside as they are on the inside.

As I go through these books they just keep getting better. I can not wait to dive into Racing Savannah, which is Miranda’s latest book out on the market. Seriously you guys have got to read these. If you love anything Sarah Dessen you will def like these a lot. I give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

goodreads

Comment Question of the Blog:

Did you play a sport in high school? If so, what sport? Lemme know in the comment section below!

As always,
That Chick That Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment